Outraged by the injustice faced by people with disabilities and vulnerable populations, we aspire to a world of solidarity and inclusion, enriched by our differences, where everyone can live in dignity.
Handicap International is changing his name and becomes « Humanity & Inclusion ». HI, Humanity & Inclusion is an independent and impartial aid and development organisation with no religious or political affiliations operating in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside people with disabilities and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
Since the organisation was first founded in 1982, we have set up development programmes in more than 55 countries and responded to many emergencies. Today we have a budget of around 150 million euros, with 3500 employees worldwide.
The Social Work & Social Development sector tackles social exclusion. This concept goes beyond economic poverty and deprivation, and is understood as a social disadvantage for groups and individuals, linked to a lack of access to resources, participation in social and economic activities of a society and limited opportunities for personal growth.
The sector’s central concepts are SOCIAL WORK and SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT, looking at deeply connected relationships that constitute the social context of people’s lives; social well-being of individuals (complementary to physical, mental and spiritual well-being) in safe and enabling environments; social functioning of the person in their environment (how people perform their social role) and societal systems (natural support networks, formal structures within communities, policies, etc.) acting as facilitators or obstacles to one’s participation and social well-being.
HI is looking for a Technical Advisor – Social work & social development. It’s a replacement.
In selected areas covered by the Social Work & Social Development sector, which include empowerment and resilience of socially excluded individuals and families; inclusive formal and non-formal social protection; inclusive and strengthened social capital, social cohesion, inclusive participation opportunities, enhanced individual / family / community social functioning; quality social services; social policies inclusive of vulnerable groups; inclusive cultural / sport / recreation / play initiatives; strengthened social work institutes and professionals, you provide technical guidance, develops and advances the professionalism, technical quality and visibility of HI actions.
Ensure the strategic development of the sector and support the definition and effective implementation of Hl Social Work & Social Development approaches and interventions (estimated time - 25%)
- Contribute in the development of coherent positioning and related tools on Social Work and Social Development, support the sector's understanding within HI, contributing to its development and positioning
- Ensure an active follow-up of innovations and developments in this thematic area
- Identify research / study questions in the fields of social work, social development, social protection and sports/culture/recreation/play
- Provide technical inputs to develop HI’s expertise, advocacy and technical guidance on social work and social development, for the overall HI federation
- Facilitate capitalization and tools development and dissemination to support the Social Work and Social Development interventions
- Identify needs and develop tools to support projects and other areas of intervention within HI
- Support programs/projects in their capitalization work
- Organize/participate to technical seminars
- Take part in the development of monitoring and evaluation tools
Develop networks and partnerships, represent and promote HI as a key player in international forums on social work, social development, social inclusion, psychosocial support, social protection and cultural/sport/leisure/play
- Analyze existing networks and identify opportunities for HI
- Identify and facilitate technical partnerships for specific collaboration and/or in support to HI desks and programs
- Identify relevant innovations enabling better support to projects
- Take part in relevant international networks, conferences/ events
Participate in monitoring and development of projects through provision of technical support
- Provide regular technical support to the design, implementation and evaluation of projects through distance monitoring & field missions
- With desks/programs, explore opportunities of projects, develop and validate technically concrete concept notes and proposals, to be submitted to donors
- Advise the development of Country Programme Frameworks / strategy, in coordination with the Social & Inclusion Direction and Technical Resources Direction
Ensure capacity building of HI staff & partners in the field of Social Work & Social Development
- Develop /implement a coherent training strategy for HI staff & partners, provide coaching on targeted issues
- Participate in identification and recruitment of human resources (+ necessary supporting tools)
- Participate in briefing and debriefing of HI staff
- Organize upon need and opportunities trainings directed at HI staff (through field missions, seminars, HI capacity building plateforms, etc.) to build/reinforce capacities
Contribute actively to the Social & Inclusion Direction and DORT strategies
- Participate to information sharing within the Social & Inclusion Direction and within the DORT to support the cross-cutting nature of the Social Work & Social Development sector
- You hold a Master’s Degree or equivalent in Social Work, Social Development or other related field (occupational therapy, public health, psychology, etc.)
- 3 to 5 years demonstrated experience in at least two areas relevant to the position (social protection, social inclusion, social cohesion, social policies, social services, social institutions & professionals, inclusive culture/sport/recreation/play, empowerment & resilience)
- Experiences in working in the field of inclusive development and humanitarian aid, alongside people experiencing social exclusion (based on disability, age, gender, religion, ethnicity, etc.)
- 2 years experiences in working in developing countries
- You have also relevant experience in :
- training and coaching of human resources
- designing and disseminating tools and internal policies
- in project cycle management, including design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Type of contract : permanent contract starting as soon as possible
- Based in Lyon (France), Brussels (Belgium) or Canada
How to Apply
Piqued your interest? To apply for this role, please prepare your CV (in English) and a motivation letter before the 30th of September.
Apply only by the following link:
We welcome and encourage applications from everyone regardless of age, disability, gender, ethnicity, religion and sexual orientation.